Vampires and mass murderers terrorised the Hungarian capital for years. Dare to discover the darker side of Budapest with this nighttime walking tour.
Mysteries and Legends of Budapest Tour
The Pearl of the Danube is a beautiful, picturesque city... until the sun goes down! As night falls, its the romanticism it has by day takes on a darker hue, making it the perfect time to discover its gloomy, tormented past. We'll start to discover the other side to the capital of Hungry at the Zero Kilometre Stone in Clark Ádam Square, a few metres from the Chain Bridge (on the Buda side), which is where our tour will start.
From here, we'll make our way up towards the castle, stopping along the way to hear the legends of Vlad Dracula and Elizabeth Báthory, going back in time to discover the horrors of the 15th - 17th centuries. Did you know that Báthory is thought to be responsible for more than 600 murders?
Not only will you be shocked by Budapest's hidden secrets, expertly told by our guides, but you'll also be able to witness the stunning, magical atmosphere of the Buda Castle district after dark.
On this night tour of Budapest, we will not access any museums or monuments, instead, from outside the monuments, our storytelling guides will cause your imagination to run wild about the horrific history of the city. We recommend you put your phones and modern distractions away and let yourself travel back in time to really appreciate the gory history of Budapest.
At the end of the tour we'll take the bus from the Buda Castle district to the centre, so you'll need to purchase a bus ticket in advance to make sure the tour runs smoothly. Tickets cost 350 Ft (US$ 1.10) and you can buy them from the blue ticket machines at the meeting point, metro stations or some newsstands. You can also choose to stay in the castle district at the end of the tour.
Children must be at least 10 years old to take this tour.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 15 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
Student discountUS$ 19.20
The tour is exclusively in English.
English speaking guide specialised in the history and legends of Budapest.
When to book?
Book as soon as possible to guarantee availability, especially during public holidays and festivities.
If there are still places available, you can book until the previous day (local time in Budapest).
Once your booking has been confirmed, you will receive an email containing your booking voucher. Please print it out or download on your smartphone/tablet to show on the day of the activity.
No (not suitable for people with reduced mobility).
Zero Kilometre Stone in Clark Ádam Square (close to Chain Bridge, on the Buda side)