Besides visiting the most-renowned landmarks and enjoying Budapest’s parks and gardens, we recommend discovering some of the city’s remarkable churches. This list includes the most popular temples:
The most-visited churches in Budapest
- St. Stephen’s Basilica is the largest religious edifices in Hungary. It stands 96m tall, as high as the Hungarian Parliament building. It seats up to 8,500 people.
- Sitting on Castle Hill, Matthias Church is the most famous Roman Catholic church in Budapest. Established between the thirteenth and fifteenth century, many royal weddings and coronations have taken place here.
- The Cave Church in Budapest is surprisingly unique. It was inspired by Our Lady of Lourdes in France and is built into the rocks and caves of the Gellért Hill.
Other interesting churches
- St. Anne’s Church is a small temple, considered by many to be the best example of Italian Baroque architecture in Budapest.
- The Inner City Parish Church is the oldest building in Pest. The temple was used as a mosque during the Turkish occupation.
Budapest Church Concerts
Music in Budapest is extremely important and this is why many churches organize beautiful organ and classical music concerts. Enjoy the excellent acoustics and striking architecture of some of Budapest’s most popular churches, including Matthias Church, St Michael’s Church or St. Stephen’s Church. Although all the concerts are worth attending, our favorite is the Organ Concert in St. Stephen’s Basilica.
Find out more about Budapest concerts in any of the city’s tourist offices. Some churches also have concert programs located very near the entrances.