Prices and costs in Budapest are relatively inexpensive, especially when compared to other European capital cities.
This list includes some example of average prices in Budapest, so you can prepare your budget accordingly:
- One-way journey ticket: 350 Ft (US$ 1)
- 72h-travel card: 4.15 Ft (US$ 0)
- Take-out pizza: 1 Ft (US$ 0)
- Dinner for two in a moderately-priced restaurant: From 4 Ft (US$ 0), without wine.
- A double room in a mid-range centrally located hotel: from US$ 43/ € 40 (US$ 42.90) / £ 35 (US$ 44.20) per night.
- Tickets to visit one of the city’s monuments: Between 1.50 Ft (US$ 0) and 2.50 Ft (US$ 0)
- River cruise with dinner and live music included: 9.40 Ft (US$ 0).
- Taxi to the city centre from Ferihegy Airport: Between 3.60 Ft (US$ 0) and 5.80 Ft (US$ 0).
Tipping is part of the Hungarian culture and is used a lot more than in other European countries. It is even common for professionals like doctors to expect a tip for their work.
Some restaurants in Budapest include the tip directly in the bill. If it is not included, the standard tip is between 10% and 15% of the total amount.