The taxi tariffs are not standard in Budapest, and each taxi company sets its own fares, but normally, the average tariffs are as follows:
- Basic fee: 450 Ft (US$ 1.10)
- Waiting fee per minute: 60 Ft (US$ 0.20)
- Price per kilometre charge: 280 Ft (US$ 0.70)
If you call for a taxi, the price per kilometre is between 5% and 10% cheaper, since the rates listed above correspond to taxis that are hailed on the street or at a taxi stop.
There are four zones in Budapest. If you take a taxi from Budapest Airport to the city centre, the tariff will depend on the zone where your accommodation is located, but the average price is between 4,500 and 6,500 Ft (US$ 16.50)
Note that you will only have to pay the amount settled at the taxi stand in the Airport, even if the taximeter reads more than the amount established.
The following are helpful tips which we recommend you read before catching a cab in Budapest:
- Before getting into a taxi, make sure it is an official cab. The license plate and the top badge must be yellow.
- Make sure the taximeter is visible and that the taxi driver switches it on as soon as you get in to avoid being swindled. It is also a good idea to always ask for the receipt, in case there are any problems.
- Taxis are always cheaper if you reserve them by telephone, instead of hailing them on the street. We recommend asking the receptionist at your hotel to book one for you.
Useful telephone numbers
A list with some of Budapest’s most important taxi company phone numbers:
- Rádió Taxi: 7 777 777.
- Fötaxi: 2 222 222.
- Budapest Taxi: 4 333 333.
- Taxi 2000: 2 000 000.
- Tele5 Taxi: 5 555 555